3 Frequent questions about diesel engine oils
3 Frequent questions about diesel engine oils
It is said that a diesel engine is harder to maintain than a gad one. Which is why diesel car owners must pay attention to the type of products they use to extend the endurance to maximum performance, but without very high costs. For instance, the right diesel engine oil helps you drive your car for a longer period, without very often visits to the repair shop. And this means significant economy.
How often should oil changes be done for diesel engines? What type of oil should you use? These are only a few of the questions that diesel car owners ask themselves. See below the answers to the most frequent questions on this topic. Read them and it will be easier for you to keep your car’s diesel engine in a very good functional state for a longer period.
1. How often should I change diesel engine oil?
If you ask a mechanic, he will probably tell you that you that after 5000 km made he will wait for you at the repair shop for an oil change. If you ask another mechanic the same question, he will have you in the repair shop after making 10.000 km. What is certain is that everyone has their own opinion. However, in order to make sure that you will never fall through, you will get the best answer from your car manufacturer.
Also it is indicated that you check oil level every 2-3 fuel supplies in order to avoid your engine parts not being adequately lubricated because of the low oil level.
In order to make it easier for you, make a "healthy" habit of keeping count of oil changes in a notebook in order to avoid potential unpleasant surprises and countless visits to the repair shop. The saying "better safe than sorry" applies in the case of your car’s maintenance as well.
2. How do I change the oil for a diesel engine car?
The simplest solution is a visit to your mechanic. If however you would like to save money and you are handy, you can change the oil yourself, at home. The first step you need to make is to start the engine and let it run until it reaches its normal functioning temperature, so that the oil that cooled can easily leak. In order to make it easier for you, get the car up a platform and make sure you have access to the oil drain valve. After that follow the steps below:
- Place a can with the capacity of approximately 6 L under the oil tank
- Carefully open the valve with a wrench (the oil will leak with pretty high pressure and will be hot so be careful)
- After the oil has drained, clean the valve with a dry cloth
- Optionally, you can also change the oil filter to eliminate the metal particles and deposits that have gathered over time
- Screw the valve back and get the car down from the platform
- Check the manufacturer’s document to make sure that you have the diesel engine oil recommended for your car
- Through the oil inlet valve, which is above the engine, add the quantity of diesel engine oil mentioned in the car’s instruction book with the help of a funnel
- After you have added the oil, start the engine and after a few minutes of running, check the oil level and if required, make the necessary addition.
3. Can I use the same type of oil for diesel engines as well as for gas engines?
Choosing the right diesel engine oil is very important for ensuring your car’s performance for longer. Only an oil suitable for your car type will help you reduce:
- The friction between engine components,
- The engine wear degree,
- The quantity of deposits gathered in time on the running system,
- The cost with fuel.
Star Lubricants offers Mobil 1 oils which can be used for both engine types, like Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30but there are also oils exclusively used for diesel engines:
- Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40, the most advanced synthetic diesel engine oil that has maximum cleaning power and offers protection against engine component wear as well as an excellent general engine performance.
- Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30, has strong properties of cleaning, wear protection and ensures an increased fuel economy for diesel engines. Next time you look for solutions to reduce maintenance costs with your diesel engine, go through the information below and you will find ideas very easy to apply. Using the right diesel engine oil can represent a perfect ally to increase engine performance as well as to take care of maintenance costs.
If you have a gas engine car but you know someone who has a diesel one and you want to give them a hand, send the article and give them a few ideas on how to make savings in terms of car maintenance. They will surely be grateful.